For PinPoint Mounting and Use
For Lens Cradle Assembly and Use
For Neo Duet Camera Strap Assembly and Use with the Lens Cradle
For Neo Camera Strap Assembly and Use with the Lens Cradle
For Instructions on using Paypal for DeluxGear purchases
Instructions for Using the PinPoint Focus Assist
The PinPoint is easy-to-use. It’s designed to eliminate focus hunt, avoid undesired focusing on objects in the foreground or background, and enable focusing with AF lenses without the photographer looking through the viewfinder, so the camera can be at waist, chest or eye level.
- Mount to Your Camera or Lens: Mount the PinPoint to the camera body, battery pack, or lens with a tripod collar, as follows:
- For first use, if batteries are not installed you will need to insert two AAA batteries (See instructions for “Inserting Batteries” below, in the “Maintenance” section.)
- From the 3 thumbscrews provided, pick one of appropriate length for your camera. If you are using the PinPoint with a tripod Q/R plate or with the DeluxGear Cradle Mount, you will need one of the 2 longer screws. Insert the thumbscrew and washer through the hole in the PinPoint from the bottom up (from the side with the battery door).
- Turn the PinPoint over, holding the thumbscrew in place with one finger. The screw is now at the back of the PinPoint.
- Place the Horizontal Guide Plate on top of the PinPoint with the anti-slip pattern facing up, the lip up, and the thumbscrew through the opening in the middle of the Guide Plate. The lip can secure to either the front or back of the camera body or battery pack. Choose the flattest side of the camera body or battery pack for greatest stability.
- Ensure that the PinPoint is facing forward, with the aperture pointing the same direction as the camera lens.
- Align the protruding thumbscrew with the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera or bottom of your battery pack. If you are using a lens with a tripod collar, we recommend you mount the PinPoint to the tripod collar of the lens.
- Tighten the thumbscrew until it begins to feel snug.
- Push the Horizontal Guide Plate until the lip fits snugly to the base of the camera, battery pack, or lens tripod collar.
- Tighten the thumbscrew another quarter turn.
- Check the horizontal alignment. The light beam from the PinPoint should be in the horizontal center of the viewfinder, equal distance from the left and right. (At this time, don’t worry about the vertical alignment.) Rotate the PinPoint slightly left or right until it is centered horizontally.
- Further tighten the thumbscrew until the PinPoint will not move from side-to-side.
- Direct: Point the camera toward the object to be the focal point of your photograph.
- Activate: Activate the PinPoint by depressing the activator button on the left-rear of the housing. When the activator button is depressed it activates a green light beam. Note: As soon as you release the button, the light goes off.
- Pinpoint: Direct the light onto the object, or portion of object, that you want to be in focus.
- Align, if necessary: Looking through the viewfinder of your camera, align the light vertically with the center focal point of the viewfinder. Slide the height adjustment bar on the underside of the PinPoint to move the beam up or down until the point of light is in the center focal point of the viewfinder. This step may be necessary whenever you change lenses or significantly change the distance from you to your subject.
- Acquire Focus Lock: The PinPoint will perform best with your camera on one of its manual settings and your lens in auto focus (AF) mode.
- Lens in auto focus (AF) mode: With the PinPoint activator button depressed, press the shutter control of the camera as far as is necessary to acquire focus. The AF components register the illuminated green dot projected by the PinPoint and, within a fraction of a second, bring the lens into focus, even in absolute darkness. Release pressure on the PinPoint activator button, and then depress the shutter all the way to take your shot. Note: you do not need to be looking through the viewfinder to acquire focus lock.
- Lens in manual focus mode: Manually adjust the lens to focus on the subject illuminated by the PinPoint.
- Shoot: After obtaining focus, simply release the PinPoint activator button and take your shot. Be sure to release the activator button, or the light will be in the photo. And be sure to take your shot from the shutter control’s partially depressed position, or you will need to re-acquire focus.
The PinPoint requires minimal maintenance. Periodically clean the aperture opening with the same cleaning cloth and solution that you use on your lenses.
Inserting batteries (2 AAA batteries required)
- Turn the PinPoint upside down to reveal the battery door on the underside of the PinPoint. You may do so without detaching the PinPoint from the camera or lens, but use extra care when doing so.
- With a small Philips head screwdriver, remove the battery door screw and place it where you can easily get to it.
- Apply downward pressure with your thumb to the end of the battery door opposite the screw hole (the end with the curve), to pop up one end of the battery door, and remove it.
- Gently pull out the battery holder. Do not pull it hard enough to disconnect or stress the lead wires.
- Insert one AAA battery with the flat (negative) end against the spring. Repeat for the other battery. Ensure that batteries are installed in opposite directions with flat ends against the coil springs.
- Place the battery holder back in the PinPoint.
- Align and snap the battery door shut, and then replace the screw and turn until tight.
- Depress power button and observe green light to ensure proper installation.
Instructions for Assembly and Use of the Lens Cradle
The Lens Cradle has two primary components: the Cradle Mount (the bracket) and the Neo Duet Camera Strap. This lens support system is attached to the tripod collar of your camera lens via the Cradle Mount.
There are several ways to attach the Cradle Mount to your tripod collar. The two most common mounting positions are i) with the wings up and forward ii) wings down and forward. “Wings up” gives the best balance and support to your lens. “Wings down” gives you an instant bipod, in what we call the “bipod mode.” Check out our Lens Cradle Assembly Instructions video to see both positions.
Or, read the instructions below. These instructions are for the wings up and forward option.
What we suggest here will securely support your camera and lens. Feel free to make changes to suit your personal preference.
Attach the Cradle Mount to the Tripod Collar
1. Remove the Lens Cradle lens support system from the bag.
2. Place the Cradle Mount in front of you with the wings up extending forward (the DeluxGear logo will be on the right side of the Cradle Mount).
3. Take the black thumbscrew and washer out of the plastic bag containing the hardware. Place the washer on the threaded post of the thumbscrew.
4. Feed the thumbscrew up from underneath the Cradle Mount through one of the three holes and into the tripod collar of your lens. Most users prefer to use the hole closest to the camera body.
5. Screw the Cradle Mount to the tripod collar, tightening until it does not move. The Cradle Mount wings should be down and pointing away from the camera body.
Attach the camera strap to the Cradle Mount and your camera
1. To attach the strap to the Cradle Mount, first lift the strap assembly by the padded neck, smooth side up, so the longer straps hang in front. The two longer straps attach to the Cradle Mount.
2. There are two slots on each wing of the Cradle Mount. We suggest using the outermost slot. Take the left strap and thread it down through the slot on the left wing of the Cradle Mount.
3. Lift the strap up and around the outside of the slot, then thread it through the two bars of the tri-glide. Secure it with the “keeper”.
4. Repeat with the other side, remembering to use the longer strap.
5. Attach the two remaining shorter straps evenly to the camera body as in steps 2-4. Adjust all four straps for the best fit.
Adjusting the Lens Cradle for optimal use
Once all are attached, you will need to adjust the length of the 4 straps until the lens and camera are balanced and horizontal when the camera strap is around your neck. Then adjust the camera and lens for comfort and fit when in use. The Lens Cradle lens support system is now supporting your gear by the tripod collar. You may carry your camera either horizontally or vertically. To carry it vertically on one shoulder, simply turn over the camera to point the lens down. This is a secure way to keep it at your side. We encourage you to experiment with different mounting styles to determine which works best for you.
Additional use of the Neo Duet Camera Strap The Neo Duet Camera Strap can be assembled to create a “handle” after it and the Cradle Mount are attached to your camera and lens. Simply remove the neoprene neck support at the quick release buckles and re-attach those two buckles to each other.
Instructions for Neo Camera Strap Assembly and Use with the Cradle Mount
Neo Camera Strap only: The Neo Camera Strap should attach to your camera like any other camera strap.
Attaching the Neo Strap to the Cradle Mount: If you are using the Neo Camera Strap with the Cradle Mount, you can combine it with your current camera straps or connect the Neo Camera Strap directly to the Cradle Mount. Follow these instructions below. Note: there are different ways of attaching the Cradle Mount to your tripod ring. There are also a couple ways to attach the straps. What we suggest here will securely support your camera and lens. Feel free to make changes to suit your personal preference.
1. Lift the strap assembly by the padded neck section, smooth side up, and straighten and untwist the straps if necessary.
2. Take the left strap and thread it, down, through the slot on the left wing of the Lens Cradle. Be sure the strap is not twisted. Note, you will see two slots on each wing. We suggest using the outer slot.
3. Lift the strap up and around the outside of the slot.
4. Thread the strap through the two bars of the tri-glide and secure with the “keeper”.
5. Repeat with the other side, making sure the strap isn’t twisted.
6. If your current strap is not already attached to your camera, attach it now.
7. Once all are attached, you will need to adjust the straps in length until the lens and camera are secure and horizontal to the ground when held by the neck strap and it fits your body.
Instructions for Using Paypal
When clicking on either the “Buy Now” or “Add to Cart” buttons on any DeluxGear page, you will be directed to Paypal. There, you may process a credit card payment, even If you are not a Paypal member. You may also join Paypal, or log in if already a member, and process your purchase through Paypal. You will not be charged simply for clicking either of these buttons. You will have an opportunity to review your order after clicking any of these buttons before your purchase is processed.
To purchase multiple items in a single order, you may click on the “Add to Cart” button and continue shopping.